Making bowls like this is an easy and healthy way to eat at home, especially during the week. You can make brown rice or quinoa ahead of time. Steam some vegetables, chop and grate some raw vegetables and add a great sauce. Easy. Everyone in the family can customize their bowl too. Throw on some grilled chicken or swap the tofu for some chick peas, edamame or a hard boiled egg.
Cooked brown rice or quinoa
Assortment of steamed vegetables (broccoli, bok choy, zucchini, beets, turnip, kale)
Assortment of raw vegetables (carrot, daikon, radish, red cabbage, green onion)
Extra-firm organic tofu cubed
1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
Ingredients for Asian Sesame Sauce
2 garlic cloves — crushed
2 Tbsp tahini sesame paste
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
3 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 Tbsp organic mirin (optional)
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp sambal thai chili sauce
- Steam brown rice
- Steam a selection of chopped vegetables and cubed tofu (broccoli, zucchini, bok choy, kale, spinach etc.)
- Chop 2 scallions
- Grate some fresh vegetables (radish, carrot, red cabbage)
- Toast 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Prepare sauce.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth. Add more rice vinegar or soy sauce as needed.
- Assemble bowl with some brown rice, tofu and vegetables.
- Add grated vegetables, scallions and toasted sesame seeds.
- Drizzle sauce over bowl and serve
Sauce can be doubled or tripled and stored in fridge for several weeks.