2 large Garnet or Jewel yams
1 1/2 qts. organic chicken stock
1 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced (let sit for 10 minutes)
1 large tablespoon Thai red curry paste
Splash of fish sauce
Splash of Trader Joes’ chili sauce
1 – 13 oz can of low fat organic coconut milk
1/2 tsp lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Scrub the yams with the vegetable scrubber. Roast the yams whole with their skins on for 40 minutes or until they are very soft when pricked with a knife.
- Using a Dutch oven or heavy-based stock pot, saute the onion and garlic until soft. Add in the red curry paste.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Remove the yams from their skins. (Try eating the skins. It’s delicious. )
- Add the yams to the broth and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender purée the soup. You can also use a blender to purée the soup and then return it to the pot.
- Add the coconut milk, fish sauce, chili sauce and lime juice to taste. Season with salt if needed.