1/2 cup dried red lentils soaked for 2 hours
2 bay leaves
1 large butternut squash
1 large jewel or garnet yam
1/2 lemon squeezed
2 tablsp olive oil or coconut oil
1 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1 white turnip chopped
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne
2 – 32 oz boxes organic chicken stock or vegetable stock
13oz can organic coconut milk (optional)
sea salt to taste
- Cook the lentils and the bay leaves in a saucepan, covered with water, until soft.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt to lentils and let sit.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Scrub squash and sweet potato. Slice in half lengthwise. Remove seeds from squash. Squeeze lemon juice on the cut side of each piece and rub olive oil on all sides of the squash and sweet potato. Place in a glass baking dish, cut side down and roast in 375 degree oven for 45 minutes or until very soft. Let cool to handle. Peel off skin.
- While squash and lentils are cooking, saute turnip, onion and garlic in olive oil until soft. Stir in curry powder, cumin and cayenne.
- Add one box of organic chicken stock.
- Add in cooked lentils and bring to a simmer.
- Add cooked squash and sweet potato to the pot.
- Puree in blender and return to the pot to warm.
- Reheat and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add a squeeze of lemon if necessary bright the flavor.
- The lentils and the squash and sweet potato can be made ahead and refrigerated.